Monday, March 19, 2012

Psalm 33 - Wear What Becomes You

Sing for joy in the Lord, O you righteous ones!  Praise is becoming to the upright.  Give thanks to the Lord with the Lyre.  Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings.  Sing to Him a new song.  Play skillfully with a shout of joy.  (vs. 1-3)

I looked at a friend the other night and thought how gorgeous she looked in the purple shirt she was wearing.  It became her.  It made the most of her skin, hair, and eye color.  It made me want to look at her, drawing me to the beauty it enhanced.  She should always wear that color, I told her.  Perfect.  It made the perfect use of her God-given attributes.

Praise becomes the Christian just like that.  It looks good on us.  It makes the most of our experience with our Father and His Son, our Savior.  The world cannot do this.  They do not know how.  Those without Christ can only don the decorations of the society in which they exist.  That sparkle in the eyes and peace at the center is rare among those without Christ, and sadly, among those of us who do as well. 

"Put on the mantle of praise for the spirit of heaviness.."  Our directive.  Wear it even when you are unsure...when you hurt.  Because as Christians, at our core, we know that everything works for our good if we belong to Him.  No promise exists like that for the world.  Random pain.  Random joy.  That is what they know.  But we....we have the assurance that we will sing a new song when the troubles have passed.

I remember several times in our marriage that Bill and I made a conscious effort to praise the Lord in our pain or trouble.  It changed the face we were wearing.  No more grimace.  No more "oh, pity me."  We put on praise like a garment and wore it knowing our God will prevail.

I also remember times when I did not do this.  I have pictures to prove how it looked on me.  Devastated and doubting.  Too thin.  Bags under my eyes.  Carrying not only my pain but also my subsequent sin.  It did NOT become me.  Especially as a child of God who is supposed to know Him, trust Him, love Him.  Children of royalty should not go about in rags of rage and disappointment.

So, sing with me if you know Him!  Sing songs of praise so loudly that your neighbors will think you have lost your mind!  I saw a lady in the car behind me singing at the top of her voice today, and it became her.  Something in her heart was lit and she bellowed it, melodically or not, to the air inside her car.  How can we do less when we are redeemed, restored, forgiven, loved and adopted!  Sing for the pure joy of being a child of the Most High God.  It looks really good on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment