Friday, March 23, 2012

Psalm 33 - A Closet Full of Love

We rejoice in Him because we trust His holy name.  Lord, show Your love to us as we put our hope in you.  (vs 21-22)

"For I am the Lord, their God, and I will answer them...and their hearts will be glad as if from wine.  Indeed, their children will see it and be glad.  Their heart will rejoice in the Lord." Zechariah 10

"The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior.  He will exult over you with joy.  He will be quiet in His love.  He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy."  Zephaniah 3

I said on Facebook a couple days ago that I wish I were perfect.  Not to misunderstand.  I know I never will be, for I am a branch that needs much pruning.  However, the reason for this desire is pretty simple.  The Father's face. 

It is all about reciprocal love.  To love my Father, the Mighty Warrior, with the same fervor with which He loves me.  To do for Him without having to be asked.  To heed the turn of His head or the cut of His eye because I know His character and His ways so well that speech isn't necessary.  So that every day when the lights go out, my Father has a smile on His face because He knows He is loved and honored in my life. 

I remember a time when I was a young mother left behind to care for our babies while Bill went to Atlanta to prepare us a new home there.  His job took him to Georgia, and I needed to sell our house.  Three months went by.  Nothing.  In the particular week of my near breakdown, the air conditioning broke, leaving us sweaty and miserable in the middle of summer.  My kidneys decided to become infected and I was propositioned at the local Dairy Queen while drowning my sorrows in french fries and a DQ Dude sandwich. (It is a chicken-fried steak hamburger...Oh, my gosh!)  I came home on that night, put the girls to bed, and went into the stifling closet to pray.

"My Father, what are You doing?  What do you want from me?"  Tears flowing down my face. 

After a few minutes, I knew my real desire was:  "Just let me know that You love me."  Needed to be reassured and touched, really.

What happened then still is mesmerizing to me.  I have experienced it since, but not in the same intensity as that night in the closet.  Quiet before my God, He came into the closet and wrapped me up in Himself.  In waves of knowing.  No words.  From me or Him.  Simply being held close by His quiet love.  My Father exulting over me, perhaps singing a lullaby to quiet the storm of my troubled day.  My circumstances were surrounded by His love and purpose.  That was what I needed to know.

The next day Bill called from Atlanta.  "I know what God is doing now, Kay."

Not surprised.  Are you?

"The whole company is moving to California.  If we had moved we would have bought a house in the wrong state!  God has been protecting us all along!"  Bill ecstatic....exultant...rejoicing "as if from wine."

The house sold shortly thereafter.  We moved to Atlanta for six weeks, keeping our belongings in storage until the move to California.  We rented next door to a woman who needed Jesus.  I loved her and we became friends immediately.  Within two weeks, she had given her life to the Lord.  We baptised her in the swimming pool.  Then we were gone.  God's plan involved so much more than our not buying a house there.  He wanted us in the right place for the salvation of one of His dear children.  The day she came to Him, I know He shouted joyfully! 

Though it often seems like we are part of a heavenly chess game where the pieces are manipulated for the win, I know we are part of God's eternal plan of salvation.  His win is our dwelling with Him forever.  Our knowing Him now in joyful union so that when we are there we are exultant in His presence.  And when we recognize that His plan has been in place all along, and it is for our good and His glory, what can we do but shout, "Hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment