Friday, March 9, 2012

Psalm 31- What Time Is It?

But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord.  I say, "You are my God."
My times are in Your hand.  Deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me. 
Make Your face to shine upon your servant.  Save me in Your lovingkindness.  (vs. 15-16)

There is an appointed time for everything.  And there is a time for every event under heaven - a time to give birth and a time to die.....a time to tear down and a time to build up...a time to weep and a time to laugh....a time to mourn and a time to dance... a time to embrace and a time to shun embracing...a time to love and a time to hate... Ecclesiastes 3

I was asking Bill, my husband, yesterday if he missed the years when our kids were growing up and we went to soccer games, dance lessons and baseball practice.  When we had dinner together every night and then pulled out the flannel board for the nighttime Bible stories.  Saturdays at the park and Sunday night dinners when we ate homemade pizza (couldn't afford to order out) and watched Wonderful World of Disney with the kids.  It occurs to me often that I will never do those things again.  Occasionally, when we are with our grandchildren, we enjoy kid things again for a moment, but they live far away and are not a part of our daily lives.  There is great joy in seeing our daughter parent, though.  Bill's answer: "Not really." He was enjoying happy hour and a quiet house.   A new time for us.

We are drift diving, so to speak, in this life.  The scuba language refers to the current pushing us along in the water.  Life does that.  Sometimes pushing us forward so quickly that our heads swim (pun intended).  But in looking back at the wake we have made, I understand how my "times" have always been in His hands.  In all lives, the circumstances present themselves in different seasons.  As Solomon put it, there is a "time" for everything under the sun.  If we think them arbitrary, there is no wisdom to be gained in our having endured or enjoyed them. 

Here is what I know.  He goes before me, arranging my time here on earth so that I fulfill everything He dreamed for me.  I was fashioned for something.  He thought of me first - thought me up, really.  Knew whose womb I fit into.  Who my mom and dad would be and how they would affect my life.  Gave me a heart to yearn for Him.  Gave me gifts to use.  In my mother's womb predestined my own womb to carry three children.  My times.  His hands don't leave me.  Even when the hands of my enemies grab for my throat, pull my hair, steal my goods, or break my heart.  My God holds up His hand and cries: "Enough!"

I have been in turbulent times, peaceful times and every kind of time in between.  I have forgotten that He has me clasped in a nail-scarred palm.  But He has not.  What time is it for you?  Don't worry.  It, too, is in His hand.  Look up from there to see His face, shining with pleasure on the child of His heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment