Friday, March 30, 2012

Psalm 34 - Somebody Sees You

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are attentive to their cries.

The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them and delivers them from all their troubles. 

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.  (vs. 15-19)

What an amazing thought that we can be in a relationship with the Most High God, Creator of everything, Sustainer of life, Judge of all, King of kings, and the Alpha and Omega!   Abba.  Father.  Adopted into the royal household by the sacrifice of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the Lamb.  Ripped in two is the veil that separated us at the time when David wrote this song to his God.  The Day of Atonement now every day as once for all the sacrifice for our sins has been paid and we are declared right with God.  Righteous.

When I cry out from any circumstance, I am heard.  My Father watches over me - He's looking out for me and looking at me.  If I am in a mess, even if I made it myself, He is there to straighten things out.  No wonder David goes there in this psalm, given that he pretended to be a madman before the king of Gath.  Might have been a bit hard to get his self-worth back in order after that.  Alone in a cave, drying the drool from his beard, he thanks God that in spite of it all, God got him out of Gath.  God was listening to him in his need.  Imagine!  God's ears open to us 24-7. 

When my children were infants I heard them crying in the middle of the night even though they were a room away.  It is an uncanny "mother thing" to sense the needs of her baby.  And, when they were in the nursery, I could discern my child's cry over the rest of the squalling babies in their cribs.  So my God hears my cry.  Looks to me out of all those around me and picks me up to comfort and deliver me.  In His time. 

What breaks my heart, breaks His heart.  The word for brokenhearted is crushed.  Been crushed lately?  By life?  Contrite?  Pliable?  With a hug,  God says He will help.  I love Micah 7:8-9 for its promises about what He does when we are crushed, especially by our own mistakes.

Do not gloat over me, my enemy.  I have fallen, but I will get up again.  Though I sit in the shadow of darkness now, the Lord will be a light for me.  I have sinned against the Lord so He is angry with me, but He will plead my case in court.  He will bring me out into the light and I will see Him set things right.

I am still His kid.  Mistakes and all.  When I cry out, desperate for my Father's help, He is there.  He isn't winking His eye over what I might have done.  I will bear the brunt of my disobedience, but He will still deliver me and make me right again.  Only He can do that.  Because One stands in the courtroom judged in my place.  Taking the fair punishment for my sin, declaring my debt paid in full.  This is my reason NOT to sin.  To stay close to my Abba. 

Being righteous is a choice.  Not to be a perfect person, but to acknowledge One.  If I had turned my back on my child so that you could be His sister, I would expect the one died for to have a grateful heart.  To understand what had happened and bow to it.  How much more God, come down as flesh to die as the sacrificial Lamb, expects recognition and obedience.  If not, these promises do not apply.  God turns His face away from those who blatantly reject Him.  They are left to fend for themselves. 

The Lord redeems his servants.   No one who takes refuge in Him will be condemned! Vs.22

There is, therefore, now, NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1

If you know Him, you don't have to live under condemnation any more.....and shouldn't put others under there either.  We are redeemed...bought back to take refuge in Him.  No bad seed kids.  Nothing that can separate us from His love....not even US!!!  Why would we choose another way?  Take refuge in a life that condemns us to failure? 

O, magnify the Lord with me!  I sought the Lord and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears!

No comments:

Post a Comment