Thursday, March 22, 2012

Psalm 33 - Heart to Heart

The Lord nullifies the counsel of the nations.  He frustrates the plans of the people.  The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart from generation to generation.

He Who fashions the hearts of them all understands all their works.

The king is not saved by a mighty army.  A warrior is not delivered by great strength.  A horse is false hope for victory, nor does it deliver anyone by its great strength.

Our soul waits for the Lord.  He is our help and our shield.  For our heart rejoices in Him.

I think we forget that our God feels things.  That He is guided by His heart for His children. 

On August 3, 1974, I looked for the first time on a child of mine.  She weighed eight pounds and seven ounces and had perfectly shaped little red lips.  A few minutes later a nurse put her into my arms and I was smitten forever by my baby.  I would have killed to protect her.  Knitted into my heart was a compassion for her unfamiliar to me until that moment.  I felt protective, awed, nurturing and responsible.  My husband and I thanked God for the gift in our arms and vowed to care for her as the precious loan from Him that she still is. 

How then, do you think our Father feels toward His children?  Ours is at best only an adequate response to parenting.  His, the perfect one.  His heart fashioned each of us before the person formed by egg and sperm began the cell multiplication process.  To Him we were a heart first.  He knew the inner woman before He wrapped it in flesh. 

When  Heather was about three years old, she pulled at my dress tail, wanting to tell me something important.  I stooped to look into her face.  "Mommy, I really miss Jesus.  It's been about 4 years since I've seen Him."  Hmmm.  I do not discount the fact that she truly could have had a yearning for a previous union with Christ that her physical body had cut in on.  A spiritual memory of a time when His heart made hers and they fellowshipped together. 

I believe that heaven is a place where thoughts and emotions are transferred by the heart.  Words are  unnecessary...too inadequate.  We are flesh-covered spirit.  Freed from that one day we will communicate heart to heart.

God, then, Who fashioned us and knows our heart, wants us to know His.  His heart for generations of people has been the catalyst for His plans for them.  He held us in His hands and thought about what His intentions for us, and the generations previous and to follow, would be.  He did not simply create us.  He created our way.....in love.  He holds us in His arms as we walk it.  Horses don't save us.  Armies don't fight for us.  Nations don't make plans without His intervention.  Kings do not rise and fall arbitrarily. All revolve around the plans God's heart has made.  For those of us who live in reverence of our Lord, we can put our trust in His great love to deliver and save us.  It is He we wait for.  Against all odds sometimes, we trust that the love our God has for us will pull us out of every difficulty or see us through it to the end.  That is why my heart rejoices in Him.  Because He is my Father and I love Him.  I was created to love Him.  I was formed so He could love me.

"If you come back to Me and trust Me,  you will be saved.  If you will be calm and trust Me, you will be strong."

But you don't want to do that.  You say, "No, we need horses to run away on."  So, you will run away on horses.  You say, "We will ride on fast horses."  So those who chase you will be fast.

You will be left alone like a flagpole on a hilltop - like a banner on a hill.

The Lord wants to show mercy to you.  He wants to rise and comfort you. The Lord is a fair God, and everyone who waits for His help will be happy.  Isaiah 30



No comments:

Post a Comment