Thursday, March 29, 2012

Psalm 34 - It Only Takes a Taste

Taste and see that the Lord is good.  How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!  You who are His holy ones, fear Yahweh, for those who fear Him lack nothing.  Young lions lack food and go hungry, but those who seek the Lord will not lack any good thing.

Come, children, and listen to me.  I will teach you the fear of the Lord.  Who is the man who delights in life, loving a long life to enjoy what is good?  Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from deceitful speech.  Turn away from evil and do what is good.  Seek peace and pursue it.
(vs 8-14)

I am wondering what taste I have left in the mouths of people with whom I have come in contact.  I know of some times when, if others were looking to me for what my God is like, they would now be eternally disenchanted with Him.  Meeting up with me has left a bad taste in their mouths.  I am hoping, though, that on the whole, I am "fearing" Him - revering His name - enough that those who meet me want a bit more of Him.

If you have "tasted" the world's fare, you know what its appetites are:  pleasure and power.  How counterintuitive are we to choose the world's way, though.  When seeking the pleasures of the world, it always becomes apparent they are fleeting and ultimately not very fulfilling because the need for more creates a bottomless pit.  Like a barrel with a hole in the bottom, we fill up only to need refilling.  Never satiated, we are then addicted. 

Having been left with an empty soul, the pleasures dried up and the power to choose ultimately purloined from us by our very desire for it, what then can the world offer up?  Hungry and wizened, we taste a different life.  First only a whiff of something better.  A fragrance on which wafts the scent of hope.  A promise of living water and bread that fills completely our deepest hunger.  A nail-scarred hand offers up the bread and wine.  Taste it.  See?  It is good.

God's holy ones are not holy because we live a life of perfection.  That is not possible, and our God knows that.  We are holy because He made us that way by coming in our place to taste the bitterness of our punishment.  Because we revere that sacrifice and  understand it to be our redemption.  That is the reason we are His holy ones.  That is not an invitation to be a "goody-goody," but to know Him intimately. 

Knowing Him, how should I then act?  Because every good thing in my life comes from Him.  I have the joy of His provision and protection!  Manna.  Daily.  Lacking nothing because of the miracle of His mercy. My response to such compassion surrounding my life should be a no-brainer.  But just in case we might not "get" it, David directs our actions.  Watch what I say.  Watch what I do.  Stay aware from evil and decide to do good.  Seek peace.  Pursue peace.  This is the way to enjoy what is good.  The way to keep from walking in condemnation.  Sounds easier than it is, some days.  Thank God for His Holy Spirit Who makes living the Christian life possible. 

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer.  Psalm 19:14


No comments:

Post a Comment